For the past century, millions of guests have enjoyed sporting events, concerts, cultural activities and of course, Playland and the annual summer Fair at the PNE. From it's inception, the PNE has continued to showcase the best of Vancouver to the rest of Canada and the world.
Assistant Manager, Playland Operations
September 5, 2017
We are seeking a hard-working individual that has a passion for the Ride Attractions / Entertainment industry and the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). The Assistant Manager, Playland Operations will work alongside two other Assistant Managers, under the direction of the Manager, Playland Maintenance and Ride Operations and provide direction and support to the Playland Maintenance and Ride Operations teams in completion of various projects and tasks including developing project management schedules for: maintenance, setup, tear down, inspections and safety of the rides as well as building and grounds maintenance.
Our ideal candidate is an individual that has a passion for managing workers, possesses a strong work ethic, is highly organized and has the ability to multi task in a fast paced / time sensitive environment.
The Assistant Manager, Playland Operations will ensure compliance with all health and safety requirements as determined by WorkSafeBC, and all other applicable legislation and company policies. WHMIS, Lock Out, Zoom Boom, and Fall Arrest training will be provided on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for various projects on the Playland site; which involves over 30 rides and attractions including setup, tear down, maintenance, inspections and safety of each as well as building and grounds maintenance.
- Co-manages between 25-50 Full-time and Casual Ride Maintenance staff (including Ride Technicians, Administrative Staff and various trades including Welders, Carpenters, Sign Writers and Machinists); includes hiring, training, motivating and disciplining as needed.
- Plans the setup, organization, construction and tear down of various attractions for the Playland Season, The Fair at the PNE, and Fright Nights and other events.
- Oversees daily ride inspections during the operating season and takes corrective action as required.
- Liaises with the BC Safety Authority for ride inspections and installations; implements their directives and submits confirmation of correction.
- Works with independent ride safety consultants, including hiring and managing; performs an assessment of their recommendations and implements where appropriate.
- Creates, documents, and implements work procedures for the safety of both staff and guests.
- Supports the implementation of the winter maintenance program for each ride to ensure they are maintained in accordance with manufacturer requirements.
- Works within set budgets and maintains established timelines for project completion.
- Maintains and updates training programs and manuals for staff; ensures understanding of policies, procedures and safety standards.
- Schedules and oversees maintenance and repairs performed by external contractors which are not able to be performed by Ride Maintenance staff.
- Administers Collective Agreements pertaining to full-time and casual staff with support from the Human Resources Department; including employee issues, investigations and discipline.
- Occasionally acts as the On Duty Maintenance Manager for Playland during the operating season.
- May be required to respond to operational issues at any time of the day or night.
- Performs other duties as required.
- 5 years of project related experience with maintenance, mechanical or major construction work; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have 2-3 years of previous management/supervisory experience.
- Experience developing policies, procedures and standardized manuals will be considered a great asset.
- Background working within a unionized environment and proven experience with administering Collective Agreements is considered an asset.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, data processing and budget tracking are required; experience with AutoCAD is an asset.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff and other department managers, external contractors, government bodies etc.; ability to provide a strong corporate representation both internally and externally.
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight deadlines with a safety-first mind-set.
- Ability to function independently and manage various projects at the same time.
- Willingness and ability to work extended hours, weekends and weekdays; including early mornings and late nights as required.
- Strong communication and organization skills are essential.
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors.
- Applied knowledge of related legislation such as OH&S regulations, WorksafeBC (Worker’s Compensation Act) regulations, BC Safety Authority, ASTM and CSA standards is an asset.
- Candidates must undergo a Criminal Record Check
Please submit a copy of your resume and a cover letter when applying for this position.
Applications for this position must be submitted via the PNE website at www.pne.ca/jobs by Sunday, September 24, 2017.