For the past century, millions of guests have enjoyed sporting events, concerts, cultural activities and of course, Playland and the annual summer Fair at the PNE. From it's inception, the PNE has continued to showcase the best of Vancouver to the rest of Canada and the world.
Manager, Food & Beverage
Full-Time (Year-Round Permanent)
September 12, 2017
We are seeking a hardworking and motivated individual that has a passion for the Food & Beverage Industry and the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). The Manager of the Food & Beverage department will work under the direction of the Director of Food & Beverage.
The Food & Beverage Manager is responsible for monitoring the cost and quality of food and beverage product. This role works closely with the Food & Beverage team to ensure that all F&B controls and inventory are well managed. This individual should have a sound understanding of the food inventory, delivery and control process.
Our ideal candidate will be an individual that is excited for the opportunity to work within a dynamic food services team; thrives within a fast paced environment, has a creative mind for problem solving and possesses great analytical and communication skills to communicate with internal and external parties.
- Plan and manage the provision of food and beverage activities for the PNE to ensure availability of appropriate, high quality and cost effective food services, throughout the PNE, including the annual Fair.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, controls and guidelines to facilitate the day-to-day administration of food and beverage programs and ensures adherence to applicable government and licensing regulations.
- Evaluate effectiveness of food and beverage programs and develop and implement changes or modifications as appropriate to improve efficiency, quality of service and to maximize revenues.
- Liaise with event sponsors and other clients or prospective clients to plan and cost food and beverage requirements; develop menus for special events and determine prices; resolve food and beverage-related problems during events.
- Prepare product specifications to go to tender, meets with suppliers to discuss requirements, negotiates prices and delivery schedules, and resolves problems.
- Participate in strategic planning with respect to food and beverage for year round operations and the Annual Fair; determine prices, monitor and evaluate standards and take corrective action as required; award and manage the fair-time commissary contract.
- Participate in preparation of revenue projections and develop and recommend budgets and forecast of resources required to achieve objectives; approve and monitor expenditures within approved budget.
- Liaise with external organizations and regulatory agencies on matters of mutual interest to facilitate effective implementation of the food and beverage function, including with the Vancouver City Council and Liquor Licensing Board and the Vancouver Health Board.
- Oversee and schedule a number of food & beverage staff (i.e. Clerical, Stock, Vendors); ensuring that employees are adhering to internal and external policies and regulations including food handling.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Systems and Inventory Control
- Oversee deliveries of items by suppliers and regularly check orders to ensure that the PNE is being invoiced appropriately.
- Ensure that orders are fulfilling company needs through performing inventory audits to reduce food waste while ensuring there is enough products to meet established needs.
- Present analyses and reports regarding inventory, using office software, to track the amount of food and beverages ordered, amounts utilized and identify areas for improvement/savings.
- Work with departmental Managers to implement new processes and record progress.
- Leverage technology and effectively use information systems and tools to generate Cost/ Financial reports and provide managers with analytical support to drive decision-making.
- Oversee internal, external and regulatory audit processes and ensures compliance with standard operating procedures.
- Develop and maintains procedures for food & beverage portion and waste controls.
- Maintain par stocks throughout the various departments by daily monitoring of on-hand inventory.
- Program the point of sale system and ensures proper controls are in place.
- Degree/Diploma in Hospitality, Business Administration or in Hotel/Food and Beverage; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in within the Food & Beverage Industry; with a minimum of 3 years’ experience within a Management role, preferably experienced with inventory control for event operations in a reputable, high volume venue setting.
- Advanced knowledge of food & beverage/food outlet operations, and all applicable quality, hygiene and liquor licensing legislation, regulations and standards.
- Outstanding written, oral communication and presentation skills; ability to speak, read, write and understand English for the purpose of written and oral instructions.
- Sufficient financial and tech savvy skills to perform billing and reconciliation duties.
- Strong administrative capabilities including strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, and electronic and hard copy file management.
- Possess excellent attention to detail and strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to identify and develop accounts and have a sound understanding of the food inventory, delivery and control process.
- Ability to interact positively with public and present a pleasant positive customer friendly image and remain calm under pressure while effectively managing various situations.
- Ability to spot potentially problematic situations and address them before they escalate.
- Possess excellent leadership and people management skills to effectively motivate team members and address performance concerns with staff.
- Willingness and ability to work on an event based work schedule which will require extended hours and workweeks (weekends and late nights).
- Successful Candidates must undergo a Criminal Record Check.
Please upload your Resume and Cover Letter when applying for this position
Applications for this position must be submitted via the PNE website by September 27, 2017: www.pne.ca/jobs.