BCIT’s Program Advising department is seeking enthusiastic and positive individuals for a regular and temporary, full-time Program Advisor positions. Program Advisors provide guidance on the complexities of BCIT’s educational options by working collaboratively with departments within the Registrar’s Office, Student Services and academic areas to effectively communicate information for students to meet their educational goals, make informed choices and access appropriate services. Program Advisors support students through their complete student lifecycle from pre-admission through to graduation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Assist students to make informed decisions about their educational options (through full-time or/and part-time) by consulting and guiding students to assess program and course selection needs, advising on specific program entrance requirements and processes, providing successful applicant profile information and strategies for admission to competitive programs, advising students on transfer credit, advanced placement and laddering options to higher credentials and providing appropriate agency, counselling and faculty referrals
- Understand the unique needs and complexities of our diverse student population and facilitate the appropriate referrals to specialized services
- Deliver immediate support to students in distress; follow up with appropriate referrals
- Maintain knowledge of labour market trends, education systems and BCIT policies and services
- Research and update resources to maintain current and in-depth knowledge of programs
- Promote and recruit by participating in PSIBC (Post-secondary Institutions of BC) high school liaison visits, providing follow-up visits with high schools students and counsellors, participating in external community events and career fairs, and developing and maintaining strong relationships with high school counsellors and educators
- Administer Part-time Studies Programs, which involves approving and processing program declarations within timelines, facilitating program modifications and course substitutions, processing transfer credit requests and auditing BCIT credentials within convocation deadlines
- Contribute to departmental initiatives including assigned projects/duties.
WHAT THIS POSITION HAS TO OFFER:
- A generous total compensation package which may include extended health and dental benefits and a competitive pension plan
- Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development
- Tuition waivers for BCIT courses
- Subsidized parking and fitness facilities
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- BCIT Diploma or equivalent, bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in a similar role
- Comprehensive knowledge of BCIT programs, systems and services
- An excellent working knowledge of the BC post-secondary educational system, particularly in relation to technology and trades training programs, including career opportunities and labour market trends
- Demonstrated ability and experience working with youths, adults and a diverse population.
- Demonstrated ability to make formal and effective presentations
- Must be able to work independently and as a team player
- Must be able to perform duties professionally and tactfully under pressure
- Superior time management and organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Computer literacy and keyboarding skills; specifically including Banner and Microsoft Office applications, plus the ability to use other software programs as required; experience with multimedia software preferred
- Valid BC Driver’s License and reliable personal transportation
*Please note: The successful applicant for this position must be able to work evenings and out-of-town assignments, which will necessitate a flexible work schedule.
STARTING DATE: Various
OPENING DATE: February 10, 2018
CLOSING DATE: February 21, 2018
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If selected for an interview, candidates will be required to present original copies of credentials.
To apply, visit us online at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications submitted online through our website.